Speaker on Adoption Topics
I’d love to share my unique “trifecta perspective” with you—as a clinician, adoptee, and adoptive parent!
I’m a licensed psychologist specializing in adoption, trauma, and racial identity development, and I have a literal lifetime of experience with adoption – as an international and transracial adoptee from India, adoptive parent to a child from Ethiopia, and professional who has worked in the adoption community since 2002.
Some of the topics I typically present:
- The Seven Core Issues in Adoption (both strengths AND struggles!)
- Supporting Adoptee Psychological Needs through Early Adulthood
- Promoting Healthy Racial Identity in Transracial Caregiving
- Talking about Race and Racism in Developmentally Appropriate Ways
- Responding to Racism
- The Hierarchy of Transracial/Transcultural Needs for Adoptees & Fosterees of Color (based on my proprietary adaptation of Maslow’s Hierarchy of Needs)
- Transracial Caregiver Anti-Racism Journeys
- Building Adoption Narratives
- Talking about Difficult Birth Histories and Family Dynamics
- Navigating Connections in Open and Closed Adoptions
- Responding to Adoption Questions
- Understanding and Supporting Adoption Trauma
- How Trauma Impacts the Adoptee Brain and Implicit Memories
- Nurture & Discipline Strategies that Promote Healthy Attachment
- Preparing for Birth Country Visits
- Mixed Emotions about Adoptee Birthdays, Anniversaries, and Holidays
Visit the Contact Me page to fill out a request form, and I’ll set up a discovery call with you to go over the details of the speaking engagement!
Upcoming Speaking and Training Engagements
From Blow-Up to Bonding: Finding the Balance of Attachment-Focused Discipline in AdoptionMay 12 @ 10:00 am - 12:00 pm
From Struggles to Superpowers: Supporting Seven Core Needs in Fosterees and AdopteesMay 22 @ 11:30 am - 12:30 pm